- We have information about resources for Boston residents with disabilities during the COVID-19 public health emergency.
- Applications and documents for an Accessible Parking Space should be submitted by email firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 617-635-2726.
- Read Commissioner McCosh's weekly messages to the disability community during the COVID-19 public health emergency.
Our mission is to increase opportunities for people with disabilities by facilitating full and equal participation in all aspects of life within the City of Boston. This includes reducing architectural, procedural, attitudinal, and communication barriers as well as promoting equity in housing, education, employment, transportation, and civic activities.
Our office works toward compliance with Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act. We also provide information and referral, architectural access review, and advocacy on disability issues.
Architectural Access Board applicants
On March 15, Mayor Marty Walsh announced a public health emergency in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
In response, the City of Boston Disabilities Commission is encouraging Architectural Access Board applicants to send variance and amendment applications by email, instead of physical, mailed-in copies. This allows for our staff to continue to work remotely. It also promotes environmentally-friendly operational practices.
Please adhere to the following guidelines for electronic submission:
- Applications should be addressed to Commissioner Kristen McCosh and sent to email@example.com
- The email submissions should have the subject line: [Address] - AAB Variance Application
- The application and all attachments must be in .pdf format in a single file, except where that file exceeds 15 megabytes. If the file should exceed 15 megabytes, it may be broken up into as few files as possible to fall below the size limit.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org, should there be any questions or concerns.
ADA Title II Compliance
Disability Commission Annual Report for 2018 / 2019
The annual report highlights the work that the commission has done to improve accessibility in Boston over the last year.
A message from Commissioner McCosh: Celebrating the holidays
A message from Commissioner McCosh: Housing stability
A message from Commissioner McCosh: Honoring and helping our veterans
2020 Advisory Board meetings
The Disability Commission Advisory Board typically meets on the fourth Wednesday of the month, from 5:30 – 7:30 p.m.
The meetings take place at Boston City Hall, 1 City Hall Square, on the 5th floor in the Iannella Chamber.
- Wednesday, January 22, 2020
- Wednesday, February 19, 2020
- Wednesday, March 11, 2020
- Wednesday, April 22, 2020
- Wednesday, May 20, 2020
- Wednesday, June 17, 2020
- Wednesday, July 15, 2020
- Wednesday, August 19, 2020
- Wednesday, September 23, 2020
- Wednesday, October 28, 2020
- Wednesday, December 09, 2020*
*November and December combined due to holidays
- Call to Order
- Approval of Minutes
- Chair’s Report
- Commissioner's Report – Kristen McCosh
- Architectural Access Update – Patricia Mendez
- Old Business
- Old Action Items
- New Business
- New Action Items
- Public Input