You need a fuel license if use a garage for auto repairs or park more than four cars in a garage or building. Here's how to get one.
Get your information together
You need to show us several documents to apply for the license:
- Please complete and print out the garage license application. You must type your application.
- We need four copies of your certified plot plan. The plan can’t be more than a year old.
- We need floor plans that show a numbered layout of the parking spaces. Please include tanks or storage on your floor plans if you plan to store anything flammable. Note: you'll also need to apply for a license to store flammable items.
- You will have to provide a check for legal advertising made out to your local newspaper (see a list of newspapers and fees).
- We also need a list of the properties next to yours. You can get this information by using the Abutter Mailing List Generator through the Assessing Department.
Attend a public hearing
When you drop off your application, we will make every effort to provide you a hearing date. We will send you a packet 10 days into the month of your hearing. It includes a cover letter that you have to send to all property owners next to your garage through certified mail.
Additionally, 14 days before your hearing, you need to mail a copy of the newspaper ad (legal notice) and the cover letter to the property owners next to your garage. Your mailings must be certified mail and include requests for return receipts.
Please bring copies of return receipts (the green cards) with you to the hearing. You need to go to the hearing. If you don’t, your application will be rejected.