Inspectional Services COVID-19 update
To mitigate the spread of COVID-19, we encourage applicants to utilize our online system when applying for or checking the status of a permit, certificate, or license. To better address your needs we have modified and streamlined the services listed below, in addition to providing improved contact information.Affidavits (Fire Escapes, Swimming Pools, Roof Decks, and Facades)
If you have an inquiry or would like to submit an affidavit for a Swimming Pool, Roof Deck, Fire Escape/Fire Balcony, or Facade, email us (for Swimming Pools or Roof Decks) or download the application (Fire Escape/Fire Balcony or Facade) and email the completed form to ISDAffidavits@boston.gov or call 617-961-3076Board of Appeal Building Division - Permits
- Check your Permit Status - To check the status of pending permits please visit our permit portal. To check the status of issued permits visit our Permit Finder website: Permit Finder Portal
- Look up Historic Documents - Historical permits can be found at the Lookup Historic Documents portal
- Apply for an Online Permit - Submit an application for Alteration/Long Form, Amendment, Use of Premise, Short Form, Electrical, Gas, and Plumbing permits via our Online Permitting Portal
- Applying for a Permit Not Available Online - To apply for a Sheet Metal, Trench, or Sprinkler permit, please download the permit application (Sheet Metal, Trench, Sprinkler), and submit the completed application along with your Workers' Compensation Insurance Affidavit, COVID-19 Safety Affidavit, COVID-19 Safety Plan and a copy of your builders license to ISDPermits@boston.gov. We will contact you regarding the next steps. For related questions, please email ISDPermits@boston.gov or call 617-961-3424.
- Questions About Permits at the “Intake Stage” - If your permit is in “Intake” (aka Counter #1) and you need assistance, please contact us at ISDPermits@boston.gov or 617-961-3424.
- Questions About Permits at the “Inspection Review Stage” - If your permit is in the “inspection review stage and you need assistance, please contact the appropriate inspector. You can also email ISDBuildingInspection@boston.gov , ISDMechanicalInspection@boston.gov, ISDElectricalInspection@boston.gov or call 617-961-3289.
- Off-Hour Work Permits - To apply for an Off-Hour permit to work outside of the normal construction hours, please send a completed Off-Hour Permit Application via email to ISDOffHourInspection@boston.gov. Once received, we will contact you regarding the next steps.
- Request a Buildings and Structures Inspection - To schedule a building, electrical or mechanical inspection please contact the appropriate ward inspector, or reach out to the appropriate group email address: ISDBuildingInspection@boston.gov, ISDMechanicalInspection@boston.gov, ISDElectricalInspection@boston.gov or call 617-961-3289
- Off Hour Inspection Requests - To request an “Off-Hour” inspection from a Building, Electrical or Mechanical inspector, please send a completed Off-Hour Inspection Application to ISDOffHourInspection@boston.gov, if it is approved, you will be instructed to pay the fee of $250 online, then the inspection will be scheduled.
- City of Boston Building License Renewal - To renew your builders license or apply for a new license, please send an email to email@example.com or call 617-961-3225.
Download the Checklist and/or Application for a Certificate of Occupancy. If you have an inquiry or would like to submit an application related to a Certificate of Occupancy, or if you need assistance regarding a certificate of inspections, please call 617-961-3223 or 617-961-3401.Commissioner’s Office Constituent Services
If you have a complaint regarding illegal rooming homes, hoarding or construction projects not in compliance with the City’s COVID-19 Construction Safety Protocols, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, or call 617-504-2392.Environmental Sanitation Division Health Division Housing Division
- Long-Term Rental Housing Registration - To register or renew a registration your rental property, visit our Rental Registration Portal.
- Short-Term Rental Housing Registration - To register or renew your Short Term Rental registration, visit our Short-Term Rental Registration Portal.
- For Housing-related questions or assistance, you can call our office at 617-635-1010 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Our Weights and Measures Sealers are conducting random verification inspections to ensure that consumers are being accurately charged. Questions or inquiries can be sent to ISDwm@boston.gov or call 617-635-5328.