City department hours
City Hall is open to the public on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. If you need to visit a department, you must make an appointment.
COVID-19 information
For the latest updates, please visit our coronavirus (COVID-19) website:
Back to top
Last updated:

Office of Housing Stability

We help residents find and maintain stable, safe, and affordable housing.

Housing Stability Notification Act Update

Mayor Walsh’s Housing Stability Notification Act is in the process of being enacted.  The Act requires property owners and constables serving a Notice to Quit and Notice of Lease Non-renewal to also provide tenants with a document containing resources and information about tenant rights.  This document will be available soon. 

Please fill out this Expression of Interest form in English or Spanish. We will let you know when the document becomes available.

Having housing issues in Boston?

Get help

There is a federal eviction moratorium in place until December 31, 2020. The Order prohibits property owners from evicting people who cannot pay rent. You must fill out this declaration form (English, Español, Português, 中文, Français, Kriolu Kabuverdianu, Kreyòl ayisyenSoomaali, русский, Tiếng Việt, or عربى) and present it to your landlord.


A number of landlords have pledged to work with their tenants to maintain their housing. See if your landlord has signed the pledge


A landlord cannot force you out by changing the locks or shutting off the utilities. Landlords must follow a legal process. Learn about the eviction process.


If you received a Notice to Quit or Eviction Summons and Complaint from the Court, please visit our "how to respond to an eviction" page for more information about legal resources.

Apply for funds to help with rental arrears with:

If you have a housing voucher, please watch this housing recertification video. You can also view this housing recertification presentation.

A landlord cannot force you out by changing the locks or shutting off the utilities. 

Landlords must follow a legal eviction process. If the landlord has changed your locks, please call the police. You should also report the landlord to the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Consumer Complaint Hotline: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m., at 617-727-8400.

Contact Inspectional Services if:

  • your apartment needs repairs or is in code violation, or
  • your utilities have been shut off.

If you feel that you are being discriminated against, contact the Office of Fair Housing and Equity.

Contact Us

Housing Crisis Support

We help tenants in housing crisis due to fire, natural disaster, eviction, or condemnation. Email or call 617-635-4200 to contact us. We also have information on emergency resources for tenants. Our goal is to put residents on the path to housing stability.

Tenant and Landlord Information

We provide information to tenants and landlords about their rights and responsibilities.

Program and Resource Development

We develop tenant and landlord resources and programs. We want to promote the creation and preservation of stable and affordable housing in Boston.

Advocacy and Policy

We research, draft, and put in place policies that aim to prevent displacement. Our goal is to keep our communities intact.