The City has tax incentive programs to advance its economic development and housing goals. We have a description of these programs below. We also list the agreements that we executed under each program at the bottom of this page.
The list of agreements provided below was updated on October 19, 2022.
Still have questions? Contact:
1 City Hall Square, Room 301
Boston, MA 02201-2011
Chapter 121A of the Massachusetts General Laws allows cities and towns to stop placing real property taxes on properties found to be blighted. The goal is to encourage redevelopment of these properties by Chapter 121A Corporations.
121A project owners make an alternative tax payment each year that is made up of:
- an excise PILOT (Payment in Lieu of Taxes) that is collected by the Commonwealth and given to the City, and
- a payment resulting from a 6A agreement. This agreement is between 121A project owners and the City. It’s related to City services available to the development.
Most 121A projects are for low- and moderate-income housing. You can find 6A agreements for each 121A project at the bottom of this page.
Chapter 121B of the Massachusetts General Laws allows cities and towns to take public actions to address substandard or blighted open areas.
The decision to take a public action is up to the community and is done through urban renewal agencies. Instead of property taxes, we may require 121B project owners to enter into an agreement to make annual payments to the City. You can see individual 121B agreements at the bottom of this page.
- commercial, industry, or business
- hospitals, or
- other uses.
TIF and STA agreements
Tax Increment Financing ("TIF") and Special Tax Assessment ("STA") are property tax incentives. They’re available to businesses in Massachusetts.
In return for substantial job creation, TIF agreements:
- provide businesses with tax relief on the incremental growth in their property's value for up to 20 years, and
- give businesses tax relief by providing a phased-in assessment of the total value of the property from 5 to 20 years.
TIF and STA plans must be approved by a City Council vote. You can see individual TIF and STA agreements at the bottom of this page.
Tax Agreements by Program
- 10 Temple Place
- 140 Clarendon
- Adams Templeton Associates
- Allston Landing
- Amory Terrace
- Angela Westover Housing Corp.
- Back of the Hill Apartments
- Beacon House Rogerson
- Beverly Street Acquisition Garage One Owner
- Beverly Street Acquisition Garage Owner
- Beverly Street Acquisition Hotel Owner
- Beverly Street Acquisition Residential One Owner
- Beverly Street Acquisition Residential Two Owner
- Beverly Street Acquisition Retail One Owner
- Beverly Street Acquisition Retail Two Owner
- Blake Estates Associates I
- Blake Estates Associates II
- B'nai B'rith Senior Citizen Housing I & II
- B'nai B'rith Senior Citizen Housing III
- Boston Bay Associates
- Boston Rehabilitation Associates
- Bridgeview Apartments
- Brighton Allston Elderly Homes
- BW Garage Owner
- BW Office Owner
- Casa Maria Apartments
- Charles Farnsworth Housing Corp.
- Charlestown Economic Development Corp.
- Chinagate Housing Associates
- City Square Elderly Housing
- Commonwealth Flats Development Hotel
- Commonwealth Flats Development East
- Commonwealth Flats Development West
- Cote Village
- Cote Village Townhomes
- Cottage Brook Associates
- Council of Elders Housing Corp.
- Council of Elders Housing Corp. ( Lot A )
- Council of Elders Housing Corp. ( Lot B )
- Cove Plaza Associates
- Dimock-Bragdon Associates
- Dorchester Green
- Dudley Neighbors, Inc.
- Dudley Neighbors II
- Dudley Neighbors III
- Dudley Square Realty Corp.
- East Canton LP
- Egleston Center
- Fieldstone Apartments
- Garage Expansion Owner
- Governor Apartments
- Hotel Tower Owner, LP
- Hemenway Apartments
- Kenmore Abbey Company
- Keystone Apartments Co.
- La Victoria Associates
- Lafayette Corporate Center
- Landmark Center
- LPR Boston Hotel
- Madison Botolph
- Madison Park IV
- Madison Trinity - Orchard Park Phase I & II
- Marcus Garvey Apartments
- Mason RHF
- Maverick Gardens, Phase I
- Maverick Gardens, Phase II
- Maverick Gardens, Phase III
- Maverick Gardens, Phase IV
- Mission Main Phase One
- Mission Main Phase Two
- Mission Main Phase Three
- Mission Main Renovation Limited Partnership
- New Boston Food Market Develop
- New Palmer Street
- Office Tower LP
- Old Colony 4 Bonds Limited Partnership
- Old Colony 5 Bonds Limited Partnership
- Old Colony Phase One
- Old Colony Phase Two A
- Old Colony Phase Two B
- Old Colony Phase Two C
- Old Colony Phase 3B4
- Old Colony Phase 3B9
- Old Colony Phase 3C
- Old Colony Phase 3 A9
- Old Colony Phase 3 A4
- One Channel Center
- Orchard Park (Adams Orchard) Phase III
- Orchard Park II, (Off-Site Phase I)
- Oxford Place Associates
- Peterborough Housing Associates
- Podium Owner
- Post Office Sq. Redevelopment Corp.
- QMG Huntington
- Quincy Heights
- Residential Tower Owner, LP
- Restoration Housing Corp.
- Robert L. Fortes House
- Roxbury Mount Pleasant
- Sarah Baker Manor Associates
- School House Brookledge Cummins
- School House Kenilworth Williams
- St. Kevin's
- Taurus At Fountain Hill Associates
- Trinity Foley (Mattapan Heights Phase I)
- Trinity Franklin Hill Phase One, 1A
- Trinity Franklin Hill Phase One, 1B
- Trinity Franklin Hill Phase 2A
- Trinity Franklin Hill Phase 2B
- Trinity Mattapan Heights ll
- Trinity Mattapan Heights Three, LLP
- Trinity Mattapan Heights Five, LLP
- Trinity Northampton Phase One
- Trinity Northampton Phase Two
- Trinity Orient Heights Phase I
- Trinity Orient Heights Phase II
- Trinity Orient Heights Phase III
- Trinity Washington Beech Four Phase 1B
- Trinity Washington Beech Four Phase 2B
- Trinity Washington Beech Phase 1A
- Trinity Washington Beech Phase 2A
- Uphams Corner
- Wait Street Apartments
- Walnut Avenue Apartments
- Waters & Company
- Weld Park Associates
- Westland Avenue Apartments
- Woodbourne Apartments
- Woodbury-Cunard Associates