Official websites use

A website belongs to an official government organization in the City of Boston.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS

A lock or https:// means you've safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.


We promote and preserve Boston's many archaeological resources through curation, excavation, and education.

The City Archaeology Program was founded in 1983 to protect Boston's irreplaceable archaeological resources. Boston has hundreds of known archaeological sites within the City's borders. Archaeology staff curate the archaeological collections at the City’s Archaeology Laboratory. We act as the review and compliance agents for below-ground cultural resources in the City. We also educate the public in archaeology through a number of City programs, and manage Rainsford Island, one of the City’s most important historical holdings.

Our exhibits are open to the public  Monday through Friday from 9am to 4pm. If you would like to access our collections or meet with a member of our staff, please send an appointment request to archaeology@boston.govLearn more about our lab's location at 201 Rivermoor Street.


Archaeological sites

Loring-Greenough House

Jamaica Plain

The c. 1760 Loring-Greenough House is a Landmark-designated property in Jamaica Plain. It was a Native Massachusett site, a site of enslavement, and a Revolutionary Way hospital.

558 Massachusetts Avenue

South End

Built in 1858, it has been the headquarters of the League of Women for Community Service, a Black women's civic organization, since 1920.

42-44 Shirley Street


An outbuilding of the Shirley-Eustis House and possible location where enslaved occupants of the property lived.

6 Hudson Street


Archaeological dig at 6 Hudson Street, former site of Ruby Foo's Den

Old North Crypt

North End

Archaeologists conducted a dig in the crypt at Old North Church in the North End.

Malcolm X- Ella Little Collins House


Archaeologists conducted a survey at the landmark-designated Malcolm X- Ella Little Collins House.

Seaport shipwreck


The remains of a 19th-century lime schooner were discovered during construction at 121 Seaport Boulevard in May 2016.

Clough House

North End

The Clough House, owned by the Old North Church Association, is located at 21 Unity Street in Boston's North End.

Old City Hall/Boston Latin School


Archaeologists surveyed the front yard of Old City Hall to find evidence of the 1635 Boston Latin School.

Training Field


The historic Training Field has been an active participant in Charlestown’s history since the 17th century.

Boston Common


Archaeologists have conducted archaeological digs on Boston Common for decades, unearthing thousands of years of Boston history

Faneuil Hall


Archaeologists have conducted two archaeological surveys at Faneuil Hall in 1991 and 2010 discovering tens of thousands of artifacts from Boston's former shipping hub: Town Dock.

Paul Revere House & Lathrop Place Archaeological Sites

North End

Archaeologists surveyed the yard of the ca. 1680 Paul Revere House and 5 & 6 Lathrop Place, two 1835 row houses on what was once the back of the Revere property.

Endicott Street Brothel

North End

Archaeologists in the 1990s excavating ahead of the "Big Dig" uncovered the privy of a mid-19th century brothel in the North End.

Brook Farm Archaeological Site

West Roxbury

Brook Farm has been home to Boston history for over 5,000 years, from Native sites to a Utopian transcendentalist community.

Back to top