Official websites use

A website belongs to an official government organization in the City of Boston.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS

A lock or https:// means you've safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

How to get married in Boston

Last updated:

Want to get married in the City of Boston? Here’s what to do:


Before you get started

Any couple can get married as long as each person is 18 or older, and currently not married. You must also apply for a marriage license, also called a marriage intention. 

Please keep in mind

A marriage license is only good to use for 60 days in Massachusetts from the date you applied. You also can't use the marriage license outside of Massachusetts. You have to get married in the state.


Go to City Hall

To apply for a marriage license, couples must apply together and in person, and you need to make an appointment. Use our online booking application to select a day and time for your appointment. Please be aware that an appointment slot has not been reserved until you hit submit.

  • Marriage intention appointments must be booked in advance using our our online booking application. We are not currently taking walk in appointments. 
  • You will receive an email confirmation once you book an appointment. The information will include a link so you can fill out your "PRE-INTENTION" form. Then, when you come in person, it will only take you minutes to review, edit, and sign your paperwork.
  • When you apply in person, you'll need to bring your IDs, as well as $50 for the license fee. 
  • Your marriage license expires 60 days from the date that you file and sign your marriage intention at the Registry Department on the day of your appointment.
  • After your appointment, your marriage license will be ready for pick up after the three-day wait. You will receive a pick-up card with these important dates.
  • Massachusetts Law requires couples to have a valid marriage license to get married in the state.

After you book an appointment with us online, we will email you a link to a Marriage Intention form that you need to complete. You must provide us this information:

  • your legal names, and what last name you will use after marriage
  • where you both live now
  • your dates of birth and where you were born
  • the names of your parents, including maiden names, and whether or not your parents were married when you were born
  • if you were previously married, we will need to know how many times, and
  • if you were previously married, we need to know the date you were divorced or see your annulment papers.

When you come to City Hall for your appointment, we'll review and finalize your marriage intention form. At that appointment, you both need to provide us:

  • valid identification (this includes passports, driver's licenses, state IDs, or military IDs)
  • your Social Security numbers (if you do not have a Social Security number, you have to write down why — for example, it was never issued or you are not a resident), and
  •  a $50 application fee. We take cash, a debit or credit card, or a money order made payable to the "City of Boston".

We hold our appointments at the Registry Division of City Hall:

1 City Hall Square, Room 213

Boston, MA 02201-2006



After you meet with us and finalize your paperwork, we will issue your marriage license. Your marriage license will be available for pickup at the Registry in City Hall after 3 business days. We will give you a card when you meet with us which will specify when you can pickup your license as well as when the license expires. 

Please note:
  • If you want to waive the waiting period, a court needs to give you Marriage Without Delay Waiver to waive the waiting period. They will charge you a $195 fee. When you file your Marriage Intention form, ask us about which court you need to go to.
  • Your license will expire 60 days from the date of your appointment with us. You must get the license before the wedding and give it to the person performing your ceremony.
  • To register your marriage, the person performing your ceremony needs to complete the license and return it to the City.

Find someone to marry you

A Massachusetts minister, priest, rabbi, or justice of the peace can officiate the ceremony. You can also have a friend or family member marry you with a One-Day Marriage DesignationClergy from outside of Massachusetts can marry you as long as they get state authorization.

You can also be married at City Hall. For more information see How to Get Married at Boston City Hall.


Make it official

The person who performed the ceremony needs to complete the marriage license and mail it to the City:

Registry Division
1 City Hall Square, Room 213
Boston, MA 02201-2006

Don't forget about your marriage certificate

After the wedding, if you want a copy of your marriage certificate it’s $12 in person and $14 by mail. Learn more about marriage certificates.

Keep in mind

Marriage after divorce

You can’t apply for a marriage license until at least one day after the divorce is final. In Massachusetts, a divorce is not considered final until after 90 days.

Check your divorce decree for the exact date your divorce is final. If you're a resident of Massachusetts and recently got divorced outside of the state, please contact us at 617-635-4175.

Domestic partnerships

If you want to file a domestic partnership, or end a domestic partnership, you need to contact the City Clerk's Office.

can’t both visit City Hall?

Call us if:

  • You are a Massachusetts resident and either you or your partner are on active military duty and not in the state.
  • Special circumstances, like a hospitalization or imprisonment, prevent either you or your partner from coming to City Hall.

Take The Marriage Appointment Survey!

Back to top