Trash and Recycling in Large Residential Buildings
Since January 1, 2003, owners of buildings with more than six (6) residential units have been required by law to provide residents with recycling programs through the purchase, maintenance, and set-out of wheeled carts. These requirements are mandated by the Ordinance Regarding Access to City Recycling Programs for Large Residential Buildings (CBC7-13A).
Trash and recycling services in big buildings may be different from buildings with 6 units or less. The City of Boston is dedicated to reducing our waste. You can help by participating in our waste reduction programs and by managing your waste responsibly. Remember to think about if an item can be reused, recycled, or donated before you throw it in the trash.
Sign-Up for Trash and Recycling Collection Services
If you are interested in receiving trash and recycling collection services for your large residential building, please fill out the form below. Make sure you have read the trash and recycling responsibilities before completing this form.
Clothing and Textile Recycling
what building owners/managers can do:
- Organize a clothing and textile drive for your residents!
- Identify a location.
- Find a central location in your building for tenants to bring their unwanted clothing and textiles.
- Educate your tenants.
- Clarify the items they can bring.
- Accepted clothing and textiles can be found here.
- Schedule an appointment.
- Once 3 or more bags are filled, schedule an appointment with our partners at Helpsy for curbside pickup.
what residents can do:
- Schedule an appointment with our partners at Helpsy for curbside pickup if you have 3 or more bags.
- Bring unwanted clothing and textiles to one of our drop-off locations!