New Urban Mechanics
The Mayor's Office of New Urban Mechanics (MONUM) was formed in 2010 as the Mayor's civic research and design team (one of the first in the nation). We explore and tackle experiments and prototypes that cover a range of topics. This includes everything from the future of mobility to City infrastructure to collective well-being.Office hours
Have a creative idea to improve the City? Let us know through email, or schedule an in-person brainstorm during an upcoming office hours. We host 30-minute blocks every Tuesday, from 2 - 5 p.m.JOIN OUR TEAM
It is exciting times at MONUM — we are currently hiring for multiple positions!
- Food Security Design Fellow: This 18-month fellowship will work with MONUM and the Office of Food Access to address the stigma associated with emergency food programs. Applications close January 10.
- Summer Fellowship: Our flagship fellowship summer program returns in June 2022 for an eight-week civic innovation adventure. You will have the chance to lead a project alongside a small cohort of fellows and MONUM staff. Applications close January 18.
- "Annual" Fellowship: This annual fellowship is actually a two-year position on our team as a Program Manager. You'll be responsible for a portfolio of work in a specific domain and have the opportunity to shape City programs and policies. Applications close January 18.
1 City Hall Square
5th FloorBoston, MA 02201
Office hoursMonday through Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Follow us on Medium
We occasionally post content on our Medium blog.
Applications are now open for 2022 fellowship opportunities!
2020 Year in Review
We've put together a brief year in review of some of our 2020 projects and reflections.
The MechanicsThe Mechanics
Highlights of our work
Common questionsCommon questions
2021 Public Space Invitational design competition launched
Here are some pieces that have been written or recorded about New Urban Mechanics and our way of working.
- Design is Everywhere (Design Museum Everywhere): Civic Design with Intention and Service at the Core
- The Movement (TransLoc): Failure is Vital for What We Do
- Malmö Civic Lab (City of Malmö, Sweden): What's Boston Up To?
- Gimlet Creative (Wireframe): Good Design is Good Civics
- Mathematica (On The Evidence): Boston Invites Community to Set a Civic Research Agenda
- The Move Podcast S1E4: Designing for Delight
- Apolitical: Boston's innovation lab teaches government to take risks. Here's how
- Politico: Boston, There's an App for That
- Boston Globe: New Urban Mechanics, keep tinkering
- Fast Company: Boston Does Digital
- MIT Review: Cities Find Rewards in Cheap Technologies
- Governing: Will Urban Innovation Teams Outlast Political Change?
- GovTech: Boston Tackles Housing with Dedicated Innovation Lab
- Living Cities: Guide for Embedding Innovation in Local Government