What building permit do I need?
The Inspectional Services permit process is based on whether you're making changes to a structure or to a building’s occupancy. Permitting for minor changes can be done online or in person. Major changes usually can only be started online, and you need to complete them in person.
We now accept electronic building plans for long-form permit applications.
Permits for major changes
New South Boston zoning regulation
The City added a new zoning amendment, Article 27S - South Boston Interim Planning Overlay District. Because of this amendment, all South Boston permit applications require more steps before we can approve them.
You need a long form application for work greater than 1,000 square feet. Your application will also before the Zoning Board of Appeal. For work less than 1000 square feet, we need a notarized statement from the owner or contractor stating the exact square footage. Learn more about Article 27S.
Additional Forms and DocumentsForms and Documents
- Affidavit for Home Improvement Contractor Permit Application
- Affidavit of Licensed Contractor Violation History
- Application for Use and Occupancy
- Application to Install a Fire Protection System (Sprinkler)
- Board of Appeal: Appeal Under Boston Zoning Code BD09
- Change of Licensed Builder
- Construction License Exemption for Homeowners
- Zoning Board of Appeals Application
- Extension Request for Building Permits
- Facade Application
- Fire Escape and Fire Balcony Affidavit
- Flammable Garage Application
- Off-Hours Inspection Request
- Off-Hours Inspection Request Form
- Street Numbering Form
- Sheet Metal Permit Application
- Trench Permit
- Mattocks-Higgins Affidavit of Workplace Safety
- Workers Compensation Insurance Affidavit