Official websites use

A website belongs to an official government organization in the City of Boston.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS

A lock or https:// means you've safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Last updated:

What building permit do I need?

Find out what kind of permits you need for your next project in Boston, and how to get them.

The Inspectional Services permit process is based on whether you're making changes to a structure or to a building’s occupancy. Permitting for minor changes can be done online or in person. Major changes usually can only be started online, and you need to complete them in person.

Learn More

Submitting plans online

We now accept electronic building plans for long-form permit applications.

Electronic Plan Guidelines

New South Boston zoning regulation

The City added a new zoning amendment, Article 27S - South Boston Interim Planning Overlay District. Because of this amendment, all South Boston permit applications require more steps before we can approve them.


You need a long form application for work greater than 1,000 square feet. Your application will also before the Zoning Board of Appeal. For work less than 1000 square feet, we need a notarized statement from the owner or contractor stating the exact square footage. Learn more about Article 27S.


Translated Document

Additional Forms and Documents

Forms and Documents
Back to top