Suffrage centennial kickoff celebration
The kickoff event featured a live performance by Boston Children’s Chorus, and an original performance art piece by History At Play. We invited all to join in celebrating, with many dressing in all-white, wearing sashes, and donning suffrage colors purple and gold.
The event was free and open to the public.
Event informationEvent information
- Master of Ceremonies: Shirley Leung, The Boston Globe
- Founder and President Women's Suffrage Celebration Coalition, Fredie Kay
- Lt. Governor Karyn Polito
- Senate President Karen Spilka
- Founder and President Barbara Lee Family Foundation, Barbara Lee
- Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh, video welcome
- Attorney General Maura Healey
- House Speaker Robert DeLeo
- Executive Director MassVote, Cheryl Clyburn Crawford
- Framingham Mayor Yvonne Spicer
- Salem Mayor Kim Driscoll
- Author and Historian Barbara Berenson
- Boston City Council President Andrea Campbell
Suffrage Centennial Kickoff photos
Folks both young and old joined in for the celebration at Faneuil Hall. Some mingled with those dressed in Suffrage costume.
Speakers at the event
Some of the speakers at the Suffrage Centennial Kickoff Celebration at Faneuil Hall.
Boston Children's Chorus
More than 30 youth singers from the Boston Children's Chorus performed at the event.
The founder and President of the Barbara Lee Family Foundation spoke at the kickoff celebration.
Finale group photo
Performers, speakers, and elected officials joined on stage for the finale at Faneuil Hall.
Various landmarks were lit in suffrage colors, including the Zakim Bridge in Boston.